Friday, January 11, 2008

Lords and Ladies

I can't believe I get paid to hang out with the 23 most entertaining, beautiful, and joyful people in my life each day. I am contunually falling more in love with my students and learning profound things from their simplicity.

We have been reading a book called "Sir Galahad" that is about one of King Arthur's knights. The kids were particularly interested in this story and adopted a very lofty sounding, slightly brithish, accent for the week. I feel like I walked around with little lords and ladies for the last few days. Luke announced after "turning a card" (basically it is a system that monitors behavior, changing the color of your card is not good) that it wil "be my last!". I was quite thrilled at his confident declaration but we will see how that pans out...history has a way of repeating itself.

When the student helpers do the morning routine they have the option of praying themselves, or selecting a volunteer who wants to pray if the helper is too shy. Today Ayden announced "I will stand! I will pray!". My what bravery! Then at recess the boys decided that I was the Hydra and they were going to "imaginary slay" me...as David put so gently. Then he plunged an imaginary sword into my loin (vocab word they learned that I think they really would have been fine not knowing ha ha) and I fell backwards in anguish. : ) Later on they are telling the teacher what they did at recess and David says, "Oh you know. Played some soccer, ate some snack, slayed a Hydra..." as he looks at me with an elated face.

I love that they love to get a rise out of me and want to be recognized for their cleverness. I love even more that this week they took pride in pretending to be noble and valiant. They really are so valiant. Over the last few years I have seen them conquer all of their math facts, read books far too advanced for their age, learn kickball and football, befriend the outcasts and lonely, share their snacks and lives, learn about being virtuous, memorize scripture, and live as brave children of the Lord. I am so proud of them. Again, I am so very proud of them. I cannot wait till I meet them years later. The hand that coud barely hold a pencil will one day write poetry and prose and minds that struggled with addition will contemplate the great mysteries of this life. I pray that Luke will be victorious over things he'd like to change, that Ayden will stand and pray for all of his days, and that David will triumph over many thing that stand in his way. Their valiance will cetianly have stories to tell that are equally as impressive as anything King Arthur achieved.

No comments: