Saturday, March 7, 2009

Not Long Here

"I've got my memory. Always inside of me...created for a place I've never known. This is home." Jon Foreman is the man. I will always say this. His writing for Switchfoot has caught me off guard many times. Tunes that come off as "catchy", become something I am quickly, and completely "caught up in."
That was only a preface to my main point. I have written about this before, and I still believe it. God works in circles in my life. He brings it all back around and will again and again. He really drives things home with me. Each time I learn the same core lesson, just in a deeper and more beautiful way.
This one started by reading "The Weight of Glory" by C.S. Lewis. I learned more about, and Lewis perfectly captured, this longing in my heart that could not be explained. I know it is for heaven's streets and the Lord's face. I was not made for this earth. I am a stranger here. I want to be home.
Next was the song "Home" by Switchfoot. I cried the first time it graced my radio and immediately became obsessed with this song that everyone else seemed to deem "simple" or "not that deep". My heart understood every word and I knew that Jon Foreman must have read a lot of C.S. Lewis.It has become one of my theme songs.
Alas, I am listening to Brooke Fraser the other day and she has a song called "C.S. Lewis Song". The bridge repeats "We are not long here" and she sings of being made for another place. That phrase has been in my head for days... and the circle comes back around again.
Lord, thank you for the reminder. Thank you for knowing my heart and the exact circumstances I am in. You always send me just what I need. And thank you for using the writings of this man from the past to remind me of my eternal future. I am not long here.