Monday, November 26, 2007

Pencil sharpening LEADS to many things...

I was sorting through papers at my desk today and Monet, complete with her missig two front teeth and new glasses, walked up and mentioned to me that her pencil was not "writing very well". I looked at the dull tip and smiled as I asked her "Well, would you like me to sharpen it for you?". She smiled, thinking that I had played into her little game.

The pencil sharpener is literally called "The Turbo", and its name is no overexaggeration. I believe it to be the king of all pencil sharpeners, the Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez, if you follow. In seconds it will transform the most lifeless tip into a lean-mean-wriing-machine. The kids in my class love it and know that it is not to be used all day long. Only by a professional (Mrs. Gillett and I), and only when they are lucky.

I knew Monet was hoping that I would offer to take care of her pencil for her. I did not expect the line of six-year-olds that followed soon after. I think I sharpened just about everyone's pencil this morning. Only about half were actually dull : ) but I would look at the already sharp ones, smile at my excited student, and give it a whirl anyway. They get so giddy, and it makes me feel lucky to bring them a little bit of joy. Even if it only consists of them watching the lighting speed sharpener.

My favorite part of the day was this: the smile and look Monet gave me as the kids continued to line up. Complete with her missing two front teeth and new glasses, she smirked and giggled...quite proud that she had started a movement in the classroom.

And so, being analytical, the wheels in my brain began to turn. Monet knew that I might have referred her to the small, manual sharpener on the shelf. However, she saw that the sharpener was out on my desk and took the opportunity. Even if she was trying to manipulate me with her cuteness, she took a risk. She encourged others to do the same, and many followed.

A leader is not so hard to find. It is not always that they are appointed or above everyone else, it is sometimes that they are simply willing. They take action, they physically move and walk across the room. Sometimes they walk across the world. Sometimes others follow, and they change the world.

Thanks for getting up today Monet. Thank you for moving and for taking a risk. I am daily taught lessons by my students and reminded of things that I will never forget.

No comments: